Outreach and Education
Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP), Summer 2008 – Present.
- Speaker on academic careers for minorities and research on hurricane risk for Houston.
Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS), 2007-Present.
- Mentor and speaker on risk and reliability in engineering for the SACNAS national conferences.
Engineers without Borders (EWB), 2006-Present
- Faculty advisor for the Rice University chapter of EWB overseeing four projects in developing countries on bridge design, water purification, solar power, and health center construction.
Rice University Summer Institute of Statistics (RUSIS), 2007-Present
- Guest lecturer and faculty advisor to undergraduate students, especially from underrepresented minorities, who want to work on applied statistical problems posed by aging urban systems.
Universidad de Los Andes, Bogotá, Colombia, 2007-Present
- Strategic Los Andes-Rice University alliance to encourage joint research proposals, faculty exchange, student recruitment, and undergraduate outreach via Engineers Without Borders (EWB).